Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Our Favorite Read-Alouds


Reading aloud is our favorite time of the day. We always read two books at a time--one at rest time and one at bed time. The good thing about this arrangement is that usually the littlest ones fall asleep. I am convinced that we learn the most simply from reading good books. And in addition to all the knowledge we're obtaining, the kids are also learning how to listen and how to sit still, even if they don't understand everything being read. But don't underestimate how young children can retain reading seemingly far above their age level. I find they start retaining at least some of most of what we're reading at around 3 years old. And even before that, imagine all the language they're soaking in.

Here are a few of our favorite read-alouds--the ones that qualify for a definite re-read in the future.

The Bible. Of course I must start there. I started reading very large portions of the bible to my children after reading 10 P's in a Pod. It has been VERY rewarding for all of us. Which naturally brings me to...

10 P's in a Pod. This book really revolutionized our life. Reading the bible 3 times a day is not the only thing we gleaned from this wonderful book.

The Little House Series. We're currently on book five in the series. The history and even science we learn from these dear stories couldn't come close to reading a dry textbook. We'll be re-reading two of the books in our upcoming year of My Father's World and I'm so glad--they're my two favorites.

The Millers Series. These are ultra conservative, at times even beyond our family, but we just love the simple wholesome stories and came to feel like we knew this family. We have read the whole series and definitely plan to read it again.

My ABC Bible Verses and Big Truths for Little Kids. These are my top picks for bible/devotional books. The first one teaches verses with stories and application for each one. The second teaches the Kid's Catechism with stories to go along with it. They are absolutely wonderful. I am looking forward to reading the next book Discovering Jesus in Genesis and after that Discovering Jesus in Exodus.

The Chronicles of Narnia. We are only three books into this series. I didn't even understand the movies till I read the books. I just learn that way :-) I am really hoping they make a movie out of the first book which is my favorite.

Christian Heroes Then and Now. This is a collection of many biographies. There is nothing more inspiring than reading about the lives of great Christians of the past.

Hymns for a Kid's Heart. I have always wanted to make sure my children learned hymns. The way these books present them with the story behind them and even little devotionals makes these books treasures.

There are so many more books we look forward to reading in the future. I am so thankful to have this time with my children every day.

7 comments:

miranda said...

We love Miller Stories, I too have found a few of them a little too much for our family and just explained to the kids what we believe. The one about the quad and it being a "sinful waste of time" oy!

Big Truths for Little kids is my all time favorite book!!

LucyT said...

I have read your blog for a long time.I can't remember how I found you .I might have found you through Beverlys blog.I am realy not sure.I just wanted to tell you that you inspire me to be a better mother you seem very gental and loving.I am way older than you but also have 5 children three boys 13,11,7 two girls 6,and 7mo.I have let our children be way to caught up with the t.v. so I love hearing about your reading list.

Millicent said...

we have the big truths for little kids and I really like it!
thank you for sharing these!

Unknown said...

We love alot of those books as well!

Beth E. said...

Sounds like an awesome reading list!

I began reading to my boys when they were infants. Billy, especially, LOVES to read.

How is everyone in your family? I'd love to see some recent pics of the kids (hint, hint)! :-)

Anonymous said...

Love this post...
My oldest is 2 1/2 and we love to read! I can't WAIT to start the Little House books with my kids..and so many more! I actually have some of the Miller books already! :o)

A book I thought you might be interested in knowing about is

Leading Little Ones to God
by Marian M. Schoolland

Its a little above my 2 yr old but like you said, they understand more than we think. I love the short little chapters, and how it is written... kind of like a conversation. And at the end of each chapter it has- something to talk about - suggested bible reading - a hymn to sing- and - a prayer

ASHTON said...

We loved 10 P's, Little House and Hymn's for a kid's heart, too! thanks for the other suggestions. Have you read Destination Moon from Vision Forum yet? Mine loved it. I love your blog, too!