Thursday, July 22, 2010

2010 Homeschool Plans

(The pictures are not uploading right. Sorry about that!)

I've been wanting to do this for so long, but our life is just so busy with out-of-home activities right now that I'm finding it hard to do anything like this. I'm so excited about next years school year. Here is a little of what we'll be using.

Bible:
BJU Bible Truths
We will all be doing the same level together and I'm using the first grade level A Father's Care. This is absolutely AMAZING! I wish I had discovered it sooner.


Language Arts:
Language Lessons from Queen homeschool.

Reading:

Justin--A Beka third grade readers and CLP Nature Readers
David--A Beka first grade readers and CLP Nature Readers
Isaiah-- CLP pre-k and possibly K readers
All of the books are not pictured because I think someone has been sneaking them ;-)


Math:
Justin--Teaching Textbooks 4
David--Horizons math 1
Isaiah--have not decided. Will probably begin Horizons math either mid-year or next year. I don't feel he's quite ready.


History:
We get most of our history through read-alouds, but just so I feel secure we are also going to use A Beka 1-3 grade textbooks. These are really good! I love what I have read so far.


Science:
A Beka. Like Bible and history, we do science together.
CLP Nature Readers also count :-)

Other:
A Beka Health, Safety and Manners
Everyday Graces
Authors and Artists (character)


Preschool:
The two older children and I will be "teaching" preschool to the 4 younger ones using a wonderful curriculum I found called ABC Jesus Loves Me. You can access it free online or buy it in book form. We started it a little last year and I can't say enough about it.

We will also be doing co-op this year.
Justin--gym, science, and lego science
David--art, math, science, and reading
Isaiah and Zachary--preschool
Cara and Tyson--nursery

One of the things I'm most excited about is using the Workbox System this year. I have not gotten it set up yet so no pictures to show, but I absolutely love the concept and I think it's going to help us so much, not just with school, but with everything. I don't think the system has to be limited to school.

Sorry I didn't link to anything. If you need more info on anything, feel free to ask, or use google ;-)

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Looks like you are all set. I am amazed at how much you do! I am starting K this year with 5 yr old son and 3 yr old daughter will be along for the ride. My first venture in homeschooling really. I was thinking on MFW but am not sure. I remember you used it last year but are not this year. What did you think of it? Do you have any exp. with their K program? Is Isaiah in K this year? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

homelover2 said...

We absolutely loved MFW. I have nothing negative to say about it. It was just too much preparation for me to do in this season of life. However I recently found out that you can buy the print-offs already printed now which would have made things a lot easier! We did Adventures. I have no experience with K although I have heard nothing but good things about it.
Not sure about Isaiah yet. He's going to have a light year, probably won't know whether or not to call him K or preK till a few months into it. lol I was used to my other boys reading well before they entered K and he isn't reading yet, so I might have to take it easier with him.

Rebecca said...

Thank you! You helped to solidfy my decision. It's been a greuling one. I am ready to stop researching and just get something already. :)

Rebecca said...

Hi, I saw that Miranda was following your blog so I just checked you out. I love what you are writing! This is completely and truly mu heart. We have three children. Just turned 3, 2, and 1. We have battled so much with feeling judged and second-guessing our hearts and what we believe is our calling... to have children and to trust that God will give us as many as He does. Children are a BLESSING and we want as many as we can get :) Anyways, thanks for the tip on the ABC Jesus Loves Me. I am just starting homeschooling this year and am very excited to try this out. I was homeschooled as a child, and A Beka is my FAVOURITE! But, it is expensive and they won't ship it to me, so I am trying out some other stuff for now. Anyways, thanks again. And if you have any time, feel free to check out my blog at spoonerclan.blogspot.com We need all the support we can get :)