Saturday, September 18, 2010

Save money on dishwasher detergent


Homemade cleaning products are all the rage right now. I have been making my own for years because there was a time when it was all we could afford. Not only does it save money, but it is better for your health and the earth. Years ago I made my own laundry detergent, fabric softener, and cleaning products, but never could find a recipe for dishwashing detergent that worked well.

A while back I came across this recipe. It is not non-toxic, but it is much more so than regular, and much much cheaper. And I have found that it works BETTER than detergent alone. Here is how I make it:

You need Cascade Complete, borax, baking soda, measuring cup, a container, and a scoop. I'm using an old wipes container and a small measuring cup for my scoop.





Measure out equal parts of each ingredient. Mix well.


To use, you do NOT need to fill the entire compartment. Maybe just a little more than halfway or even less--it depends on your water. You can play with it to see how much you need. Sometimes less is best. Keep some type of scoop in the container--a 1/8 c. measuring cup or tablespoon works well. I had an extra 1/4 c. measuring cup so that is what I use.


If your dishwasher has a JetDry dispenser, fill it with white vinegar about once a month. It will do the job as well as the real stuff.

I hope this helps someone save some money!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. I've been making my own laundry soap but yet found something for my dishwasher. I also make my own cleaning spray.. I will definitely try this.. :)