(The above photo is a stock photo--not really us!)
February 7 marked one year since my husband left to serve in Korea. He will be home in two weeks. I knew from the beginning that this year was from the Lord. I felt a strange peace about it all. I knew it had a purpose. I thought I knew what that purpose was.
I decided that I would devote this year to praying for my husband. Then when he came home God would have fixed him because of my faithful prayers.
Yes, I did. And I just admitted that to the world.
Now I know the purpose. God fixes what is broken.
****************************************************
I prayed for God to change my husband. God changed me.
I prayed that the Lord would touch my husband and get his attention. He touched me. He got my attention.
I prayed that God would soften my husband's heart. He softened mine when I didn't even know it was hard.
I prayed that my husband would learn about love! I learned what love really is.
I prayed that my husband would see eye to eye with me about my dreams. God showed me how to lay my dreams on the altar and trust Him. He reminded me that He is in control--not me--and that I needed to give Him control....by giving him control.
I prayed that my husband would appreciate me. Then I began to appreciate him.
I prayed that God would show him how wrong he was! Then He showed me how wrong I was.
I prayed that God would make him love me (the way I wanted to be loved, of course). Then God made me love him, with a love deeper than anything I have known before.
I said, "Don't bring him back until he has changed!" He didn't bring him back. Until I changed.
I prayed he would come back a new man! Instead he is coming home to a new woman. A woman who loves the old man just the way he is.
With
all
my
heart.
********************************************************
You had to go away.
I had some things to work through, some things God had to deal with in me. God had a lot to teach me. He had to break me so He could fix me.
Not that He is done with me--there is always more work to be done here on this sin-filled earth. But now it is time for on the job training.
Now I think it's time to begin again. Now you're coming home. I am ready now. God answered all my prayers.
10 comments:
**Tears** What an amazing work of God's grace! I remember the year my husband spent in Korea like it was yesterday, and it was 23 years ago. God did amazing things in our marriage through that one year. Not that everything was perfect, but it laid a foundation that would not be easily shaken. So thankful for all God is doing and WILL do in your lives!!
Just reading this post gave me chills. Such strong words. It really made me stop and think. Thanks for sharing, it was beautiful.
I remember when my hubby served his Korea tour, it was awful and I NEVER want to do it again......
oh girl...that is just awesome!!! I can't wait to hear how your husband becomes changed because of your changes!!
I'm so happy for you! I hope everything goes well, and his journey home will be quick and safe. You are amazing to see the positive in all things, even one as hard as this. :)
Dear Jennifer,
I've been reading your blog for years. It is such an encouragement to me. I'm a mother of five myself too, expceting #6. On my blog I would love to encourage my fellow Hungarian mothers in their callings. This month focusing on marriage.
This post is so powerful, I would love to ask your permission to translate and post it on my blog. Linking back of course.
Wishing you all the best for the family reunion! :)
Love,
Kamilla
I would be honored, Mary. Congratulations on your sixth baby! Having six is wonderful--I love it! Praying for 7 ;)
Thank you! :)
<3 Praise God!
Post a Comment