Monday, May 18, 2009

The Best Cloth Diapering System


In my 4-5 years of cloth diapering, I have tried almost every type and brand of diaper in existence. Not really because I was in search of the perfect diaper, but because it was fun and I loved having the variety. You might remember the ridiculous assortment I had accumulated for Cara Grace when she was tiny. That was really fun and I loved trying all those new and different kinds.


But now I have greatly simplified my stash and use mostly two different kinds because I have found the best AND most affordable system.

For home, I use prefolds. The cost, durability, and effectiveness of good prefolds can't be beat. I use mostly Chinese prefolds, which are the white ones. I also have a few beautiful and luxuriously soft bamboo prefolds which are the cute printed ones. I use a snappi with them most of the time because it makes for a trimmer fit and keeps the cover cleaner. However, you don't have to use one--you can just fold the diaper in folds and lay it inside the cover. (On top of the white diapers is one of my wipes. I have mostly used baby washcloths as wipes, but have discovered that I love true cloth wipes and have been buying a few here and there. The one pictured is a BumGenius bamboo wipe that is awesome.



For my covers I use Wiggle Worm Bottoms. These covers are unbelievable. They are the best covers I have tried, they are affordable, and most of all, they are gorgeous! You can completely customize your outer (solids, prints, and even minkee), your inner (a vast assortment of colors and fabrics, but I prefer no inner--just the PUL lining), and your fastener (snaps, aplix, or touchtape). These are the best.


And for outings and sometimes nighttime, I use BumGenius 3.0 pocket diapers. The reason I use these for outings is because they are quick, easy, trim in the diaper bag, VERY effective, and keep the baby from feeling wetness because the suedecloth inner wicks moisture away from their bottom. And not only are they the best, they are also one of the most affordable pocket diapers. I don't know how they do it!



I love using cloth dipaers. It is fun, it is easy (yes--it's easy!), it does save money in the long run, especially if you use them for more than one child and they are also VERY resaleable. There is a reason why many cloth users are "addicted"!


I may do a post in the future about just how I use them and how I wash them to show just how simple and easy it is.
But isn't the cuteness enough to convince anybody??? :-D

14 comments:

Cat said...

I would love a post showing how you use your cloth diapers and how you wash them! We don't have kiddos yet but my mom used cloth for me and I plan to do the same for my kids. I'm just a little confused since I've never actually used them yet.

About Our Family said...

Please, please post about how you use them. I did tons of research on using cloth (I have 4 kids under 3 years and another one the way!) and was sold except for dealing with the poopie. Please tell me how you do that!

Rebecca said...

This subject is near and dear to my heart. :) Thanks for sharing the pics of your adorable kiddos in those darling diapers! Mine are plain in comparrison. I may have to check out those covers and get one here and there. I did buy Thirsties covers (for my baby girl due in July) in lots of fun colors so I am looking forward to using those.

I am a prefold, snappi, and cover user by day and a bum genius user by night and for outings as well. They really are just like a disposable as far as ease of use and dryness to babies bottom. Amazing!

Thanks for posting this. It was fun!

Myra @ My Blessed Life said...

You've almost convinced me! These diapers are amazingly beautiful! I'm just SO intimidated with the "smell" and keeping up with the laundry. And I guess the initial investment cost. I'd love to see/read how you care for the diapers!

Jo said...

I got Bum Genuis today and I AM SO EXCITED!!! I have been pooped and peeed on everyday this past week and it's only been a few hours and I am over the moon happy using these. Have you ever tried just cutting up a clearance fleece baby blanket at Walmart for wipes? That's what we use and I get more than 40 wipes per blanket.

Beth E. said...

Adorable pics and a great post! Oh, I wish we'd had these wonderful options when our boys were babies! :o)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for sharing your CD pics. We are an all flat and prefold (for doublers) family here, with cute wool to cover it with. I had to learn to knit to be able to afford the wool, but I love that it's a natural, breathable cover. Your cutie covers make me want to try one of those though!

Millicent said...

thank you for sharing this! I am cd'ing part-time with Mason and finally found diapers that work--now I might be ready to go full time!
I love BumGenius and Swaddlebees!

Stacy said...

I agree with the McKinney Family...please tell us how you deal with the "poopies" and care of the diapers...it's what is keeping me from taking the leap!

homelover2 said...

I hear you all! I will definitely do a how-to post very soon! You will pleased to find there is very little "poopie" or "smell" to deal with! :-)

Unknown said...

I love BG as well! Only I tried to love PF but they just werent working for me. I prefer a stash of stuffed pockets. :) I guess its because I started cloth diapering 7 years ago with Kushies AIO> :)

Jessica said...

Jennifer, I hope that yo don't think I am weird but I am wondering where you have disappered to? Did something happen to make you deactivate your fb account? I really enjoy keeping up with what is going on in your family, your advice and knowledge about cloth diapering. I pray that everything is going well in your family! Blessings Jessica

homelover2 said...

@Jessica--thank you for missing me! I temporarily deactivated my facebook account. I needed a break and a time to really focus on the Lord and my family.

Jessica said...

Totally understand!!!!! Glad to have you back!<3