Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Diet Plan

Ok--I am sick and tired of these extra 15 pounds of pre-pregnancy weight that have been hanging on for months. And I am scared to death of becoming pregnant again before it goes away and just adding to it! So I have come up with my own little baby-step diet plan. If I try to do anything too drastic, I will not be able to stick with it, so I have listed some small things I can do that might help me to get rid of this and actually fit into my clothes.

1. No eating after 10pm (3 hours before bed. I go to bed late, so this is generous. I'm usually snacking constantly till 2am!)
2. Drink at least 2 quarts of water per day. Limit sodas and sugary drinks.
3. Use small plates and do not get seconds of anything except fruits and vegetables.
4. Eat a piece of fresh fruit or my salad before I eat the rest of my dinner.
5. Only snack if I am truly hungry. Snack in moderation and aim for healthier snacks.
6. Exercise or walk at least 15 min. a day.
7. Limit sugar intake. 1 sweet per day.

I will not lie. Dieting is very foreign to me. I have always been able to eat whatever I wanted and not think a thing of it. But time is slowing down my metabolism because I am now 20 pounds more than when I got married and have maintained that for months. So if you have any tips that don't take TOO much will-power, bring them on!

9 comments:

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Hey girl!!! One thing that works for me is food journaling. When I write down everything I am eating it's easier to track where my problems lie and I am more apprehensive to eat three hershey kisses - cause I don't want to have to write them down - guilt!

Also, I like to keep exercising interesting by trying new things - Friday I blogged on how to use a medicine ball at http://www.womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com

Also, you can read my trainers food journal here:
http://www.womenlivingwell.org/clare_s_food_journal

Hope these could be of some help?
Courtney

Jo said...

Ruben taught me this and an old crew partner who was a fitness guru taught him: get your metabolism jump started by doing random exercises throught our the day. Like right now I'm doing 10 sit ups every hour. You could do anything like that. For the past 3 months, Ruben does 30 push ups every hour and his arms look awesome now. I do 70 calf raises (just standing on my tip toes 70times) and I'm getting that nice defintion back. I'm hoping to up my sit ups soon. This did help me lose the last 10 lbs. from Maggie.

Myra @ My Blessed Life said...

Can I join you?? :)

Beth E. said...

Look at me...would you listen to any tips from ME about dieting? LOL

Good luck!

Squirrel T said...

I lost 15 lbs. since the beginning of April, this is what I did:

Cut out sugar. Eat low-carb. I do not feel deprived by eating this way, I will allow a sweet snack once in a great while and will have whole wheat bread once a week. Cravings disappear when you eat low-carb so you don't really miss the sweets.

I started jogging. Started out slow and worked up to 2.25 mi. (about 25 mins.)3 days/week. The other 3 days I do weight training (just use some free weights at home),and exercise on our elliptical and/or aerobics DVD. I rest on Sundays.

Also, to rev up your metabolism, eat smaller portions more often in the day instead of the 3 main meals. I also wait for my stomach to growl before I eat, I believe that is a God given signal to eat. I think of food as fuel for my body instead of for pleasure like I used to.

Hope some of this helps!

Rebecca said...

You are hanging onto that weight for a couple of reasons: You are still nursing (I assume). Also, as our bodies get older we do tend to hang onto a few extra pounds - add that to your body making milk and voila! Those pesky pounds are nature's way of keeping on what needs to be there to make a good milk supply. That is one theory.

I am small by nature (5' 2" and 110 pounds pre-pregnancy) but I've gained 35 lbs and am only 30 weeks! I've got 10 to go with at least 10 more lbs. I am thinking...yikes! But nature and my midwife say, "this is my way of getting you to support this pregnancy and make a great milk supply". So, I have to try and accept it. It is hard though.

As for going for the sugary stuff, I would imagine it's the need for quick energy. If you are like me, that is one of the reasons you love carbs. With little ones, you just need that boost. And with little ones, we've got snacks around. I try to keep only healthy snacks around because my will power gets low when my energy does. Also if you are like me, you HATE excercise. I suggest doing what you are already doing and just get the kiddos out for a stroll as part of your day. Or, get a fun video and involve them somehow...? Just a thought. Personally, I am less apt to the video and more for the walk.

I think your plan looks great! Very sensible and do-able. You are smart to avoid drastic dieting or radical changes that just won't work or stick for a busy mommy.

I have a friend who went to Weight Watchers and lost over 100 lbs. She did amazing but mainly what she took away from it was just what you said. Eating in moderation and upping the fruits and veggies. She also makes most of her carbs with very high density, high fiber. She says that helps make her feel and stay full and satisfied. I would throw in there upping quality, lowfat protein too. That seems to help satisfy me and staves off the need for sugar. Good luck in your endeavor. I think you are beautiful and would tell you not to worry about those 15 lbs, but if we don't feel good about our weight, then those comments are nice but don't do the trick. ;)

Happy moderate life style changing! I think I'll join you.

Melissa said...

The one thing I have always found to be great is to be diligent about exercising. I've found that not only does it allow me to be not so perfect with the food (who can with little ones??), but it makes me feel better and maintain a more positive attitude. I'd definitely say to keep up with your walking - it'll help with your metabolism and overall health both physically and emotionally. Good luck!
Melissa

Jeannie said...

I have taught nutrition classes for a number of years and have found the following plan to be a quick and healthy way to lose weight:

Breakfast: 4 oz protein or 2 eggs, 1 whole grain carb

Lunch/Supper: 4 oz protein, 1 whole grain carb or 1/2 cup starchy veg, lots of non-starchy veg.

Having protein at each meal will give you longer periods of not being hungry between meals. Having only 3 whole carbs per day is a healthy balance with the protein. Fruit is a sugary carb so best not to have very often.

For snacks if needed, go for protein or non-starchy veg.

Courtney's idea of journaling is the best! You could make a square for each meal and write P, C, NV for protein, carb, non-starchy veg in each lunch and supper (P and C for breakfast) and then write beside each letter what you had. This will keep you on track instead of heading down the carb trail : }

I have been able to keep my weight where it should be for 10 years by following this.

God bless and best wishes!

Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for maintaining a healthy lifestyle! :] Yes, processed food can be destructive to our diet plans. In my case, I follow some efficient diet plans but as much as possible, I only eat herbal products. It’s long been proven that herbs are essential for providing nutrients that our body highly needs. :]

- Anna Higgins