Did you know the hymn "I Need Thee Every Hour" was written by a wife, mother, and homemaker? I can understand why an everyday wife and mother would have such a prayer in her heart. This job is not the vacation some people see it as. It is HARD. In fact--I can't do it! I cannot be a "good wife" or a "good mom" without Him! I need His help, His wisdom, His presence every minute of the day--drawing from Him moment by moment.
Annie Hawks was in the midst of her daily duties at home when the words to the beautiful hymn came to her. She said, "I was so filled with a sense of nearness to my Master that, wondering how one could live without Him in either joy or pain, these words, 'I need Thee every hour,' were flashed into my mind. Seating myself by the open window in the balmy air of the bright June day, I caught up my pencil and the words were soon committed to paper."
I need Thee every hour,
Most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine
Can peace afford.
I need Thee, O I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee!
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.
I need Thee every hour,
Stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their power
When Thou art night.
I need Thee every hour,
In joy or pain,
Come quickly, and abide,
Or life is vain.
I need Thee every hour,
Teach me Thy will,
And Thy rich promises
In me fulfill.
1 comment:
I've always loved that hymn. It seems to come into my head all by itself right at those moments when I'm screwing up most and am farthest from where I should be, which is a great reminder to stop and say a little prayer.
Post a Comment