I have tried almost every Bible reading system and schedule out there. It is always fun to try fresh new ways, especially at the beginning of the year when we are fired up about about reading through the bible in a year. A few months ago I found a new system on Facebook that got me really excited and I love it! It is called Prof. Horner's Bible Reading System. You can read all about it on the facebook page. There is a lot of info there about the what, how, and why. It will really inspire you to try it out.
In a nutshell you read from 10 lists:
THE TEN LISTS:
List 1 (89 days)
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John
List 2 (187 days)
Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
List 3 (78 days)
Romans, I&II Cor, Gal, Eph, Phil, Col, Hebrews
List 4 (65 days)
I&II Thess, I&II Tim, Titus, Philemon, James, I&II Peter, I,II&III John, Jude, Revelation
List 5 (62 days)
Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
List 6 (150 days)
Psalms
List 7 (31 days)
Proverbs
List 8 (249 days)
Joshua, Judges, Ruth, I&II Samuel, I&II Kings, I&II Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther
List 9 (250 days)
Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah,
Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi
List 10 (28 days)
Acts
We are enjoying this method so much--I use it both alone and with my children. I try to read at least one chapter in the morning (I'm not a morning person), we read several chapters at rest time and bedtime, and then I read more at night when I go to bed. Sometimes if the rest of the household does not require too much of my attention, I will read while I am nursing too.
If you decide to try it, I posted some really nice bookmarks for it on my facebook page a few posts down.
2 comments:
I've made a personal discovery concerning reading the bible. Last year I read the "Bible in 90 Days" (it took me 6 months) and while that was nice, I found myself feeling rushed some days to get through it and I wasn't pausing to let it change me. My new strategy is to have NO daily goal. Whether I read a verse, a chapter, or a book...as long as I read enough to let it reach me. Then my goal is complete =)
But should I ever decide to pick up another organized bible reading, that sounds like a good one!
The plan actually calls for reading all 10 lists per day, but we don't go by that. We might read 1 chapter on a busy day, or we might really get into it and read 15. It's really flexible and since there is no goal (like 90 days or 1 year) it really does not matter how much you read. It's really about the order in which you read.
Post a Comment