Sunday, January 02, 2011

Back to School


Tomorrow we are starting school again and I can't wait to get back into a routine. Everything is out of control during so-called "breaks"! My curriculum looks a lot different than it did at the first of the year. I got all those workbooks, textbooks, and scripted teacher's manuals out of my system REAL fast and have since returned to my true love, Charlotte Mason. Most of my curriculum is following the guidelines at Simply Charlotte Mason. For many subjects I have developed my own system of using the Bible. I will primarily be using the Bible for reading, copywork/handwriting, spelling/dictation, and english.

Using the Charlotte Mason approach, we'll be covering all these areas.
Math--using Teaching Textbooks, Horizons, and Singapore (three different kids, three different needs.)
Science--using Christian Liberty nature readers and an A Beka science reader.
Reading--the Bible along with some readers from A Beka and Christian Liberty Press for added literature.
Copywork--bible verses, hymns, poems
English--Language Lessons from Queen Homeschool as a supplement. These are wonderful!
Character--bible and read-alouds, currently reading Everyday Graces. LOVE this book!
History--read-alouds and A Beka history readers
Geography--map books and GeoPuzzles! We'll go deeper into geography later. For now the puzzles are awesome.
Bible--LOTS of bible! We are also still going through BJU Bible Truths that I just can't let go.
Scripture Memory--verse packs from Simply Charlotte Mason.
Literature--lots of books books books! Right now our A Beka readers and Everyday Graces is covering a wide variety of literature for us.
Poetry--we're going through Favorite Poems Old and New.
Nature Study--this involves me actually going outside with my kids once a week. This takes a lot of discipline from me, but I hope to do it with them at least once a week.
Picture Study--currently studying John James Audubon. There are such wonderful children's books for learning about artists and their work. We're also learning a lot about birds through this particular artist!
Music Study--currently studying Bach. We are using books from Vision Forum that study the lives and music of composers. Excellent. This is the first time I have every studied or even listened to classical music (other than being in ballet growing up) and I love it.
Hymn Study--using Hymns for a Kids Heart. We're currently in Volume 2.
Missions Studies--currently reading about Gladys Alyward
Shakespeare--We are reading a children's version of Midsummer Night's Dream. Unsure about whether or not we will move beyond children's adaptations right now.


That looks overwhelming, but it is really very simple, easy, and relaxing--and fun. Many things are only covered once or twice a week so it is not as much as it seems. Just lots of good books and learning interesting things!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

We haven't officially started home schooling. I am learning to love what I read about Charlotte Mason. I just finished reading For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaffer.

I really enjoy the ideas for the "before 6." I mean...isn't easy to just go outside and play?! Something I'm working on is trying to let them experience books, music, and all sorts of things and not try to push what I think they should be experiencing on them.

Do you have a post on what you do with your preschoolers?

And I figured out how I found you...I believe you left a comment on a mutual fb friends status one night. So, since you are in KSPT...if you live in a subdivision and are looking for something different on your one day a week out...Laurel Run Park in Church Hill is AMAZING! We live in a subdivision and this park really gets us into nature.