Friday, September 25, 2009

Please Pray for Zachary


This evening around 7:00, Zachary (2yo) got his thumb smashed in the front door. It looked completely crushed and the front half of the end of it was just hanging there. So I rushed him to the ER where we waited more than 2 hours--it was terrible! The whole front end, from the base of the nail (part of which is gone) to the very tip is badly lacerated--much more and it would have been clean gone. Praise the Lord it wasn't worse! His thumb is also fractured in several places. The wound bled excessively and is still seeping from the bottom of the bandage more than four hours later.

I don't feel good at all about their treatment of this. They have only bandaged it up. I'm supposed to keep the current bandage on for two days, then change it myself periodically until the wound looks healed. In two days he has to start wearing a splint on his thumb which he has to wear for 3-4 weeks. He is on pain medication and antibiotics to prevent infection in the bone.

I do not feel good about this bandage. I'd like a second opinion, but not sure who to get it from. I mean the whole tip of his thumb from nail to tip was HANGING by a piece of skin! I know the doctor (or nurse practitioner in this case) knows better than I, but I'm not sure he saw the extent of the injury well enough.

So please pray for sweet little Zachary that his little thumb will heal up properly with no problems. Thank you all!

p.s. It IS awful cute that now both he and Daddy have bandages on their right hands (Kevin had surgery yesterday to repair a ruptured tendon). Now they are both asleep on the couch, sleeping peacefully with pain medicine, and their hands elevated on pillows. They look so sweet :-)

11 comments:

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

Poor little Zachary. I hope and pray that his pain will ease and thumb will recover quickly.

Cecelia said...

I will be praying. I would definitely get the second opinion. My son had something very similar to this happen. When Josiah was just learning to walk he fell in glass and cut his face and two fingers. One of his fingers was also hanging. B/c his face was so bad they had a plastic surgeon look at him. We found out that that was a huge blessing. The plastic surgeon fixed him up, and said that if he had not been called in they would have never fixed his finger properly. It took 4 hours of surgery to stitch his face, but most of that time was spent working on the finger. They said that nerves and tendons were severed and that if those hadn't been sewn back together, he would have lost the use of that finger. I don't say this to scare you, and I know your little guy's accident was different, but it might be worth getting a second opinion. I know how scary this is, and I'll be praying for you.

Jo said...

Call tricare and find a way to get the help you need. Call back and talk to someone new too if you need to. Tricare only works if you a respectfully pushy and willing to do the legwork. I will get your guys and you in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

praying for you.. I had the smal thing happen when I was a child to my pinkie finger, they gave me three stiches and same thing with the bandage and then the splint. It healed over time and was only sore when you change the bandage. But as a mother follow your instinict, it is always better to be over cautious when it comes to our babies.

blessedmommie said...

Praying for Zachary, and also that you can get a second opinion and follow your mother's heart. I am so sorry. It is terrible when our little ones suffer.

Rebecca said...

I will pray too for a quick and complete healing for both your little guy and your hubby.

Karen said...

I would go for a second opinion. My four year old had something similar happen to him I couple of months ago while we were on vacation. The ER there did suture it, but told us to follow up with a hand surgeon a few days later. He ended up having surgery on his finger.

You don't want to run the risk of him losing the use of that thumb. I would recoomend a hand surgeon.

Praying for you all!

Blessings,
Karen

Tammy said...

You can also see the patient rep at the hospital. When dh was Army the rep was a great help to us.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, This just happened to my three year old daughter 3 weeks ago.

I would definitely get another opinion! The Dr. at the ER told us to go to another hospital (we live in a small town) to get the skin sewn back on. I'm so glad we did!

Anonymous said...

This happened to my little sister a few years ago,but it was her index finger that got slammed in the bathroom door.They gave her,I think twelve stitches.Are you saying that they didn't even give him stitches??That's a little ridiculous.I will be praying for him!

Debbie said...

Can you take him to a pediatric orthopedist?