I put something into my planner that I've been wanting to add for a while: my reading list. A couple years ago I started reading in what I like to call a "mother's curriculum" style. See an explanation of what it is and why on this post at my old blog. I put this list in the "school" section of my planner and now I don't feel so lost when I look at all these books on my shelf longingly. Now I have a plan and I know I'll get to all those good books in time! Of course, the first book on each list is the one I'm reading now.
Bible Study/Devotional
Becoming the Woman God Wants Me to Be
Lord, Please Meet Me in the Laundry Room
Celebration of Discipline
Walking in the Truth (bible study to Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free)
If
Discipline: The Glad Surrender (second time)
Seeking Him (Nancy Leigh DeMoss)
Holy Habits
Falling in Love With Jesus
Practicing His Presence (third time)
90 Day Walk with God in the Psalms
Marriage
The Love Dare
Created to be His Help Meet (have read multiple times)
Feminine Appeal
Blessing Your Husband
Fascinating Womanhood (second time)
Capture His Heart
Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands (second time)
Mothering
Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood
Creative Correction
Mission of Motherhood
Power of Motherhood
Keeping Children's Hearts
Mommy Survival Guide
Ministry of Motherhood
Training Children in Godliness
The Mommy Manuel
The Parenting of Champions
Raising Godly Tomatoes (third time)
To Train Up a Child (have read multiple times)
Homemaking
The Home Management Binder: The Housewife's Best Friend (have read multiple times)
A Mother's Rule of Life
Taking Care of the Me in Mommy
Passionate Housewives
Professionalizing Motherhood
Home-Making
Biblical Womanhood in the Home
Mrs. Dunwoody's Excellent Instructions for Homekeeping
Juggling Life's Responsibilities (second time)
Managers of their Homes (third time)
Managers of their Chores
Homeschooling
What Every Child Should Know Along the Way
Educating the Wholehearted Child
Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit (second time)
Real Learning
Homeschooling and Loving It
Homeschooling at the Speed of Life
Managers of their Schools
The Charlotte Mason Companion (second time)
Teaching the Trivium
7 comments:
This is exactly what I do also, but I never thought of organizing it the way you do. I have several books going at once, all on different subjects such as the ones you listed--marriage, parenting, homeschooling, etc. I just keep a running list and cross them off as I'm finished.
Great idea!
That is am impressive reading list! I have read only a small fraction of books by comparrison. I tend to grab snippets online here and there.
Mostly as I haven't really learned to give myself time to really sit down and read through books on a regular basis yet. The thought is very appealing though (especially as I enter my 3rd trimester) and you've listed some great books to look into. I've read and have Raising Godly Tomatoes, Fascinating Womanhood, The Home Management Binder and The Mommy Survial Guide. I have some older books like The Strong Willed Child, Creative Counterpart and The Christian Family. Captivating is another great one for women. One I didn't see in your list is The Mother at Home. I got that as a Christmas gift and really found a lot of helpful information in there inspite of that fact that it's over 100 years old. :) I think the principles are very sound although the delivery of certain techniques, I think, should be tweaked a little.
For you marriage section, my mom sent me for our anniversary "Devotions on a Sacred Marriage". Wow!! It is awesome and I can't wait to get the first book, Sacred Marriage. To me the Love Dare was "common" and wasn't new. Sacred Marriage talks about making your marriage have "holy" love and it really was fun and was all about making your marriage an experience to bring you closer in your own relationship with God. And the author, Gary Thomas, even brings up Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage so you know this guy is on the right track!
I have the Love Dare and I absolutely love it! I know it's meant for troubled marriages, but even though my husband and I are madly in love it has been a HUGE help! He doesn't know I have it and am doing it; but it is so fun to bless him! =)
wifeandmom: I haven't read all these either! These are the books I plan to read and I've only read the ones that I noted. The Mother at Home is a great book, too! Just not on my list to reread at the moment.
Jo--Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look at it! I'm almost finished with the Love Dare, and while it may not present anything NEW, it does present the simple truth in beautiful inspiring and practical ways for me. I'm def going to read it over and over.
Hi Jennifer!
I used to read your blog on Xanga, and am thrilled that you've started blogging again!
Re: Reading, loved your list and wanted to share one more with you, (not technically a book, though!) A great site,"Bible on One Page", and it's really intrigued me and my kids. It's helped them with mentally organizing the Bible as well. Here's the url http://www.jrsbible.info/bible.htm
Have a super weekend! Your kiddos are all so cute!
Shelly
Most of those books I have but some I am going to have to check out! What a great idea to list them in our planners...I just have to be careful sometimes I get caught up in books that I don't read my bible as much. Thank you for sharing! Any tips on laundry and how we can add that into our schedule???haha
Post a Comment