Household cleaning products can quickly drain your budget, not to mention they are filled with harmful cancer-causing chemicals. I'm so thankful that I discovered how to make my own cleaners cheaply and more naturally. Here are the cleaners I use in my home.
Laundry Detergent
I have always used the powder version of homemade laundry detergent, but I would love to try the liquid form--it seems like it would last longer and be better. But the powder is quick and easy and works great, so I will keep using it for right now. Yes, I still use it in my front loader and yes, it is awesome for cloth diapers, too!
1 bar Ivory (or Fels Naptha) soap, grated
1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda
Mix together and add 1 or 2 tablespoons to each wash.
I have been using a powdered stain remover like OxiClean, but it's an off brand (Sun) that costs less than $2. It is wonderful on stains--I never have to spray each stain now. Right now I'm adding a small amount to each load, but next time I'm thinking of just adding it into the detergent itself. I think this will make a superior homemade laundry detergent!
Fabric Softener
I have found something that really works in place of fabric softener. Dryer balls. However, I have found that just two does not do the trick. The more balls you use, the softer your clothes will come out. I use six when I dry cloth diapers and they come out so soft and yummy--even bamboo! Wal-Mart now sells these where the laundry boards and irons are for less than $5 for two. If you buy a pack every month for 2 or 3 months, you will never have to waste money on fabric softener again. I am really in love with them because since you cannot use fabric softener on diapers, my diapers were always stiff and crunchy, even using vinegar. Dryer balls are great--once you can convince the kids they aren't for playing with! (I have also seen these at Dollar Tree!)
Dishwasher Detergent
I had to experiment to get this to work for me. The original recipe uses only Borax and baking soda. But this left a white film all over my dishes, even when using white vinegar as a rinse aid. My water is either too hard or too soft--don't know which!--for it to work. The recipe I use is not all natural, but it is definitely cheaper and better for you than regular.
1 cup Cascade Complete
1 cup Borax
1 cup baking soda
Mix together and add about a teaspoon to both compartments.
Fill up the JetDry dispenser with white vinegar periodically.
Household Cleaners
I used to use a lot of vinegar and baking soda around the house, but have since found something better and cheaper. It's called Basic H2 from Shaklee. It come in a concentrate that comes to about 25 cents per gallon once diluted! On the bottle are recipes for glass cleaner, all purpose cleaner, and even a degreaser. I use this on every surface in my home--even wood furniture and all the floors.
I admit I sometimes give in to a bottle of Pine-Sol to mop my floors for that wondeful clean smell, but most of the time, I go green. I love my Basic H2. I bought mine over a year ago and still have 2/3 of the bottle left!
14 comments:
Thank you for posting these recipes! I have tried the borax/baking soda and it also left a terrible white film on my dishes. We have very hard water where we are. I'm looking forward to trying that recipe out tonight after dinner. Thanks for sharing!
Melissa
We have soft water. Just a little soap makes lots of suds! If you have trouble getting soap to lather, then you probably have hard water.
I have a question...what is washing soda???
Thanks for the recipes!
oh, yay! I am super excited to try these recipes! I also don't know what washing soda is... And when you grate the Ivory soap, do you grate it really fine or coarse? Just use a regular cheese grater? Lastly, do you think that H2 stuff is sold online?
Washing soda is different from baking soda, but it is also made by Arm & Hammer. It comes in a yellow box. It is in the laundry aisle, usually near the Borax.
I grate the Ivory soap finely with a food processor, but before I had one, I used a cheese grater and it was just fine.
Yes, the Basic H2 is sold online at Shaklee's website.
Thanks for all the comments and questions. I love them, even if I'm not able to answer right away!
I love the going green cleaning recipe's and ideas! Thanks for sharing about the laundry detergent and how it works on cloth dipes. I will have to give it a try sometime. I have what I use and what works for me on my blog in the side bar but am always open to trying new things too.
I found the washing soda in my local store, yay!! I am totally making up some of the laundry and dish detergent. One last question about the dryer balls... do they help with static cling at all, or just make the clothes soft?
Thanks again, and if you have other tips, bring them on! =)
Great recipes! I love Basic H2, as well! Where do you get washing soda from? Blessings!
Christine,
It's at most grocery stores in the laundry aisle.
Dryer balls. Yes--static cling, softening, faster drying time, cut down on wrinkles. Love em!
I wanted to let you know I used the dishwasher detergent recipe you posted, and it is GREAT! We have extremely hard water here, and all the recipes I've tried from my books & the internet leave the dishes with a yucky white film. This one is really awesome. I've never thought to stretch detergent with the baking soda/borax, but it works. Thanks for sharing!!
Melissa
great post! do you find that the laundry detergent is good for babys sensitive skin? my son has to have his clothes, towels, and sheets washed in free & clear detergent.
Momathome:
Yes, this is a very gentle, almost all natural detergent, free of dyes, perfumes, and chemicals. My son gets eczema from detergents and I have to use free and clear things too.
great, thank you! im not familiar with the borax, but you say its ok for skin?
and also do you think it would be ok for me to use liquid fabric softner with this as well? we hang our clothes to dry outside
thanks for your help!
Hi! thanks for the cleaning recipes! I also wanted to add that I use one part lemon juice to two parts olive oil to dust my wood furniture and it works really well to shine it up!
Post a Comment