Here is our current school schedule. The only actual school part is "Heart of Dakota" and workbooks, so you will see that even on days we don't actually do "school", we still do a lot of learning. It is woven throughout our day. It is our lifestyle. You will also notice that I take a very literature-based approach. This is just what come naturally to me. I am working on fitting in more hands-on stuff, but it is hard for me!
Morning
Circle Time
1. Popcorn Prayer based on ACTS: This is where we all take turns praying a short prayer using the ACTS model of Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication. We go around the circle for each part.
2. Singing: We sing one fun song, one praise and worship song or patriotic song, and one hymn.
3. Memory Work: I have a daily list of items we work on memorizing. I try to fit in things for all ages levels and things that go along with what we're currently learning in school.
Monday
Verses and catechism
Pledge of Allegiance
Days of the Week
Planets
Tuesday
Verses and catechism
The 12 Tribes of Israel
Months of the Year
7 Continents
Wednesday
Verses and catechism
Pledge to Christian flag
The 10 Commandments
Alphabet
Oceans
Thursday
Verses and Catechism
The 10 plagues of Egypt
Counting
National Anthem
Friday
Verses and Catechism
Pledge to the Bible
The Lord's Prayer
Address and phone number
4. Bible Reading
5. Heart of Dakota
6. Lifeskills and Training
After this we work on workbooks until lunch. Our workbooks are math, Explode the Code, spelling, and handwriting.
Afternoon (During rest time)
1. Bible reading
2. Current read-aloud
3. Lessons in Responsibility for Boys (almost finished with this. don't think we will continue with the next one for now)
4. Readers
After rest time, we finish up workbooks. Then we do chores. After chores is free time till supper.
Night (before bed)
1. Bible reading
2. Current read-aloud
3. Devotional book
4. Hymn of the month
5. Prayer
(Where is underline on blogger???)
5 comments:
I like your memorization schedule..you gave me some great ideas :-)
I got most of my memory work ideas from the Circle Time ebook from Preschoolers and Peace. It is great!
I am a literature based kind of person also. We read A LOT. Checking out 30 or more books at a time from the library is a regular thing for us. Hands on is tough for me as well. 5 min. of creative work for them and 20 min. of clean up for me. That holds me back a bit. I need to get better at that too. I like your schedule. It flows nicely. I have 2 and 4 year old and need to get serious about homeschooling soon. Your post gave me good ideas too. Need to check out that book you are raving about. Thanks for sharing!
Wow...that is awesome! I so admire you, Jennifer. You are doing a great job teaching your children. Please pat yourself on the back, because you certainly deserve it. :o)
Love you,
Beth
Your memorization ideas are super! Thank you so much for sharing!
Post a Comment