I love to hear what other people use in their times alone with God. I'm the type of person who thrives on solitude and quietness, and I'm also a very private worshiper. I could not make it through one day without sitting alone at His feet and drinking in His love for me. How does anyone live without Him???
I am so thankful that God blessed us with His Word so that we can hear from Him and learn His ways, and I'm also thankful that He has anointed other people to expound on His Word to help us dig deeper and really apply it to our lives. In addition to my Bible, I also read my old Above Rubies magazines as a devotional. What an incredible ministry of encouragement for Christian women!
I also have two books that, now that I have them, would be some of the things I would grab if my house were on fire! You've heard me sing the praises of A Book of Prayer before. It's a collection of all the prayers from five of Stormie Omartian's Power of a Praying... books. A couple months ago, I was browsing through the leftovers of a bookstore going out of business and saw another book like it called Prayers for Emotional Wholeness.
When I saw that title, it was like God Himself was standing there handing it to me. If you know me at all, you know how I deal with emotions! I can be an emotional wreck and I'm the type of person who can really be ruled by that. Emotional issues have taken their toll on my marriage, my children, almost every part of my life. And being perpetually pregnant and/or nursing definitely doesn't help!
Anyway, I bought this book for practically nothing and added it to my quiet time stack and it truly was a gift from God to me. I wouldn't hesitate to say it has changed my life.
Isn't it amazing how almost every time we read the Bible there is something that just speaks to us exactly about what we're going through? And no matter what prayer I'm on that day, I know that God orchestrated that I would read that prayer on that day. Sometimes it is unreal and nothing can explain it except that it's God!
Knowing Him is the only thing that makes life worth living.
4 comments:
I love it when God points me to a particular prayer or passage in the Bible. He always knows what I need!
Give all those precious kiddos a big hug for me!
Blessings...
i know what you mean! i try to have my thoughts with God as much as I can, even if Im just doing laundry! I feel very blessed to be able to be home each day with my little boy, and I give thanks for tihs everyday. I wish more of my family would find closeness with God and Jesus Christ, but it seems they have taken the other route to only thinking of themselves. I pray this changes. have a wonderful day!!!
One thing that I have loved is that as I am reading through say Ephesians my pastor is preaching on a totally differnt book and I can see how they dovetail. I love how a deeper understanding of his word makes worship more meaningful and the songs come alive. The one book I would grab is not as spiritual as yours but I would get my little book that gives a breif overview of each chapter. I often find my self refering to the little book as I start a new book of the Bible. I have had this book for years but I still go to it all the time. The other thing I would grab is my jornal which is a reminder of how God has worked in my life and the lives of others as I have chronicled prayers answered. Welcome back to blogspot!
Rejoice,
Kyle
Ma of 3 p's in a pod
I've only commented once or twice before, but it is good to see you back and with your new blog. I am always encouraged and refreshed by my visits to your blog. You have a way of sharing honestly and plainly that is refreshing and real. Thank you and bless you!
Post a Comment