Sunday, March 22, 2009

Happy Birthday, Justin!


Friday was Justin's birthday. Seven years old. How can it be?

I got pregnant only two months after we got married. I was ecstatic because I wanted to get pregnant on the honeymoon and the two cycles I had that it didn't happen, I was devastated! I was thrilled, but I can't say most other people were approving. We had only just gotten married, Kevin didn't have a good job, we were so young. It was definiltey not the "right time" to have a baby. But from the very beginning we had chosen to let God decide when we'd have a baby (that was back before I even knew anyone else had made the same decision!). It wasn't man's right time, but the positive pregnancy test said that it was God's time!

When he was born, I felt so complete. This is what I had dreamed of my whole life and here was my perfect baby boy! But at the same time, I was totally overwhelmed. Even though I had experience with babies because of my siblings, motherhood was a whole other story. Now, I can literally nurse, change, and care for babies in my sleep! But then, as a 20-year-old new mother, I felt way in over my head. I remember looking down at him in his crib when he was six weeks old, completely exhaused, and thinking, "There is no way I can have more than one! How am I going to live through this?"

It is so funny to think that I felt that way now! And I'm so glad that I didn't let my feelings then allow me to waver in my decision to accept all God's blessings!

Now my Justin is truly a blessing to me. I don't know what I would do without my right hand man! He's incredibly smart, he's a natural born leader, and my favorite thing about him, he truly has a heart for the Lord and amazing insight into spiritual things. He loves sports and music and of course, video games. He's a huge help to me and is always ready and willing to serve. I couldn't ask for a better first child than I got in Justin
His name Justin Alexander means "Just Leader" and I pray that he will always live up to that name, that his leadership will always be just and he will walk in the ways of the Lord all the days of his life.
Happy Birthday, Justin!



Another thing about Justin: he hates wearing shirts. It was hard for me to find a picture of him with a shirt on! I just can't keep shirts on that boy!

5 comments:

Karen said...

I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your blog. I wish I had so much widsom like you when I was a young mother! God has really blessed you!.I have been following you for a while now. I originally heard about you from Beverly on MOMYS!

Many Blessings,
Karen

Beth E. said...

Happy Birthday, Justin! Sorry I missed his big day. I've been at our Women's Retreat. I left early Friday morning and returned late last night.

I hope Justin had a wonderful day. He is such a cutie...with or without a shirt! :o)

Millicent said...

What a wonderful post! Happy Birthday to your big guy! My oldest hit 7 in December, and for some reason that was the hardest bday for me so far. It just seems so big!

Wendy Leigh said...

I know exactly what you mean when you said you wondered how you would ever be able to handle more then one child. When our 2nd was born, I remember thinking "What was I complaining about, one child was way easier then 2". Then when our 3rd was born, my oldest was being diagnosed with autism so that just felt like I was drowning every day, and when our 4th was born about 18 months ago, I remember thinking "3 was so maneageable, how will I ever cope with 4?". I imagine I will probably think that right up until the very last one. Thankfully, God's grace is always sufficient.

Aubrey said...

Hi there - I found your xanga blog a little while ago looking through some homemaking blogs and that led me here. This is such a sweet post that sums up many of the thoughts I have had (do have!)as a first time mom myself. (My first little one - a girl - is 8 months today). I wanted to let you know that, as a fellow home lover and home keeper I very much enjoy your posts. Keep up the good work! :) (I'm also impressed you can keep up with bloging - I do well to get things down with just one little one)!
Emily